I receive this error message: "Failed to retrieve directory listing". What should I do?
| When you connect from your local PC to our FTP Server, you can receive this error message: "Failed to retrieve directory listing". This issue happens simply because of the fact that you are using a Passive FTP Mode. To resolve this issue, you need to find a way to switch the FTP mode from Passive to Active mode.
To prevent this issue, we highly recommended you to use an FTP program called CoreFTP. This program can be downloaded for FREE at http://www.coreftp.com/download.html. This FTP program is lite and it is easy to use. Additionally, it can automatically convert the Passive FTP connection to an Active FTP connection
The followings are the guidelines to switch the FTP mode on the free FileZilla tool:
1. Open Filezilla
2. Make sure you have input the RIGHT host, username, password, and port.
3. Go to Edit —> Settings
4. Click on connection —-> FTP —-> then choose ACTIVE
5. Click on Connection —-> FTP —-> Active Mode: Select "Ask your operating system for the external IP address”
6. Click on Connection —-> FTP —-> Passive Mode: Choose Fall Back to Active Mode
7. The last step —-> click OK
If you still cannot FTP after the above changes, you may need to check your local firewall and make sure port 21 (port FTP) is not blocked. Please consider adding a new rule on your local firewall.
If the problem still persists, please raise a ticket via our Help Desk System to our Support Team.
|Posted by: ASPHostServer Administrator - Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM. This article has been viewed 8147 times.|
|Online URL: http://faq.asphosthelpdesk.com/article.php?id=23|